Stepping in the gym for first time is worrying: 5 tips to help you
We know that stepping foot into the gym for the first time can be a daunting experience. We've been lucky enough to coach many people on their journey to taking that first step and here are a few tips we've learnt along the way.
1) Find your "WHY" and then focus on this. It could be a wedding goal, a specific health goal, fat loss, muscle gain, improve your performance at work, Improve your relationship and an endless list of reasons why people make that first step. Find your why!
2) Join with a friend, a partner or a loved one! This can significantly increase your confidence.
3) Make use of your membership. The majority of gyms now come with a free induction and a qualified fitness instructor will show you around, teach you how to use the equipment and provide you with facility specific advise.
4) See all those fancy photos of people doing deadlifts, front squats, clean and Jerks etc? Ignore them! Let's first work on the basics, learn how to move correctly and safely, build stability around your joints. As your experience levels increase so will your level of expertise to carry out new movements safely and correctly. Take your time and don't rush the process.
5) NOBODY is looking at you. This is true! Everyone there is working on themselves. No-one is judging you. This is hard to get your head around when you first start but it's true and you will generally find people are a lot more helpful that you think. Often the help comes from people you wouldn't expect either.